Varsity Choir Takes Sweepstakes At U.I.L

By : Ruben Flores, Staff Writer

The Meistersinger Choir recently competed at a U.I.L Concert and Sight Reading at the University of Texas at Rio Grande Valley and received sweepstakes. The competition was judged on musicality, sight reading, and overall performance.

The students got sweepstakes by getting superior ratings from the judges in the concert and sight reading. The judges look for correct notes, phrasing, dynamics, if they are in tune, and if the choir is able to blend.

“They’re looking for musicality, accents, how the piece makes you feel emotionally,” junior Maya Pena, said.

The choir had competed with grade 5 pieces which are the highest pieces of music that a choir can perform for competition as well as the most difficult. Since the choir is in the 6A division they have to do one grade 5 and one grade 4.

“The hardest one is 6A which is what we are,”  Head Choir Director, Mary H. Guerra, said.  “We have to do one grade 5, one grade 4, and a choice which is what I pick.”

In order to get this the choir not only practiced during class but as well as after school. They use after school time to tune each section more precisely and make sure they are able to get their musicality correct.

“We also practiced after school everyday,’’ Guerra said. ”Sometimes I have rehearsal just for the sopranos, just for the altos, and just the men.”