High School Students ‘Adopt An Angel’ in December

By : Ruben Flores, Writer

Travis Elementary students were in for a surprise on December 14th when high school students showed up to their school for the annual, Adopt an Angel event.

Adopt an Angel has been an annual event in which clubs and organizations on campus donate toys to children in need at the local elementary schools. Once received, the donations were organized by the Pets Are Worth Saving (P.A.W.S.) club and the Migrant Club.

“When our school partners with an elementary school, they identify students who might not be able to have gifts at Christmas time due to financial circumstances, ” P.A.W.S Co-Sponsor Andrea Ibanez said.

Both clubs collectively received more than 100 toys from the organizations on campus making it a school-wide effort.

“We got about a 150 toys that were donated,” Ibanez said.

Organizer of the event, Mrs. Laurette Prestia was in charge of making sure the needed amount of gifts were collected as well as making sure that each gift was age appropriate.

Mrs. Prestia started this event over thirty-one years ago.

“It’s an event we’ve been doing for a long time that one of the teachers, Mrs Prestia, started,” Senior larami Mireles said.

Prestia will be retiring at the end of the school year and hopes this event will live on.

“I hope that I’ve left enough of an impression that those organizations will continue,” Prestia said.