Choir’s Annual Spring Show

Seniors Casey Pena and Samuel Pequeno together in one of the duets of the show, “You’re the One That I Want”.

By : Ruben Flores, Staff Writer

The choir performed their annual Spring Show this past week with the theme “Let’s Go To The Movies”.

They have songs from movies from every era and they perform it for the end of the year concert that has been happening for the past 25 years.

“It was a tradition that was started by my assistant, Ms. Jaggard, 25 years ago and it has continued since,” Head Choir Director, Mary H. Guerra, said.

With this years theme, the choir performed songs like I’m a Believer from Shrek, Joyful Joyful from Sister Act 2, and My Way from Sing. These was chosen by the directors and were revealed after competition as a celebration to the student.

“Throughout the year they keep it a secret until the day after we get the U.I.L results. We celebrate by the directors giving us the theme,’’ junior Maya Pena, said.

Along with group performances, choir students are able to try out for solos during the show.   

“We have to hire outside people to help us,” Guerra said, ”They help us judge because with some songs we had 10 students try out and only one can make it.”

For some, this is their last time performing with the choir.

“Before senior year I thought it would just be another show and I’d be ready to leave ,but after the show I felt kinda sad I can’t be part of it anymore,” senior Bryan Lopez, said.