Quill & Scroll International Honor Society

Guest Speaker Alexis Aguirre pins senior Bea Chavez at the Quill and Scroll induction ceremony.

By : Leslie Torres, Staff Writer

On May 1st, student publications members were inducted into the international honor society, Quill and Scroll. The first and only of its kind in the Edinburg school district, this honor society brought to light the recorders of Bobcat history for the 2017-2018 school year. Their achievements, such as their accumulation of more than 20 hours of journalism work, were recognized alongside the members’ best photographs.

President and junior, Pauline Moralez, took the initiative of introducing and welcoming the guest speaker, Alexis Aguirre, a Bobcat alumni and reporter for the Valley Morning Star Newspaper.

“Introducing Alexis Aguirre was eye opening for me because this was a girl who walked the same halls as me just a few years prior and now she’s living my dream. She made me realize it’s completely possible,” Moralez said.

For Moralez, this honor society is an open door in the direction of her career path.

“Quill and Scroll, for me, is a small glimpse of my future. I plan on pursuing a career in journalism and the support of my teacher and fellow inductees continues to push me to follow my dreams as a reporter,” Moralez said.

Senior and Vice President Vanessa Hernandez views this newly introduced honor society as a chance for EHS students to fully understand the impact of journalism and what it can do.

“I felt very honored to be able to represent this new honor society because it will pave the pathway for new aspiring journalism students,” Hernandez said. “I hope that this society will spread the love for journalism and will inform other students about what journalism really means.”