Sonnet Writing Contest

Photographer : Pauline Moralez

By : Leslie Torres, Staff Writer

This February, the library hosted the Love Me, Love Me Not sonnet contest. Students were allowed to turn in a decorated poster with a sonnet that either praised or denounced love itself. Many entries were received, and to make the contest more interactive for the student body, the library staff opened up voting ballots to help decide on a winner.

Freshman Jacklyn Guardiola took the third place title for her sonnet, and drew upon her past experience with love to guide her writing.

“I had already written it when I was dating someone,” Guardiola said. “The experience of sharing my sonnet was good because it could have impacted someone.”

The sonnets allowed students not only to express themselves, but also zone in on their literacy skills and writing abilities.

“Participating in the sonnet contest was enlightening because I really didn’t know how to write a sonnet, but with the help of my teachers and my mom I wrote a good one,” second place winner and junior, Ray Mercado, said. “I wanted to do it because I wanted to get a feel of how writing a sonnet would be. I wanted to expand my knowledge of literature.”

First place winner and junior, Pauline Moralez saw this contest as an opportunity to express herself and even comfort others who may need it.

“I had some doubts entering the contest because it was such a personal piece,” Moralez said. “I felt exposed having it out there for everyone to read, but after I won, I was glad I entered because I know others related to my work and that’s why they voted for it.”